Friday, October 26, 2012

Facebook Anonymous - Day 2

I've noticed the withdrawal symptoms immediately.

Not more than three hours after the plunge I found myself reaching for my iPhone or iPad with no intention other than to press the glowing blue icon with the familiar "f" emblazoned on it; it was automatic. The icon wasn't even there. I had deleted it on all my devices (step number 2 after deactivation is to remove all remaining Facebook stimuli and reference). My brain, so used to the shot of excitement and my physical body, so used to the muscle responses, have clearly adopted a habit. Mind you, this didn't happen once, this happened on four occasions in the first four hours of disconnect! "What the hell am I doing?" I would ask myself after each failed attempt.

Obviously it was going to be important for me to invest my energy into something else. Simply cutting off my Facebook world wouldn't suffice. By following that approach I would undoubtedly develop some sort of twitch and inevitably fail my mission with a relapse of epic sorts. Besides, then I would have to go crawling back with my tail between my legs. After all, some of the final comments I received when creating my next to last Facebook post were along the lines of "see you soon", "you'll miss us", and the ever loving "get lost eh." I couldn't succumb to that fate, not now, not so soon. I'm sure I'll be back some day, just not today.

What would I do with all that extra time I had just discovered? You're reading it. Well, nobody is reading it yet, but maybe someone will stumble across this and find it semi-interesting. If not, I don't care. This is a new outlet for me and I'm going to give it a run. Of course blogging is soooo yesterday, hell, it may not even be yesterday, do people still blog? So here it is, my second ever blog post. I won't always write about my Facebookoholism, but right now that's my flavor of the month.

15 hours down. Yep, not even 24 hours yet. This morning when I woke up the mental and physical habit took over again...I reached for my phone with only one intention....I can't wait to break it.

No comments:

Post a Comment