Friday, November 2, 2012

What's In a Week?

Yesterday marked my first complete week without Facebook. It also marked my first week as a novice blogger. For those of you (none) who actually read my last blog post, you can also probably guess that I’m working through some shtuff right now.

I initially started this blog to document my leaving Facebook experiment. If I’m being really honest with myself, my choice to leave Facebook may have been driven, at least partially, by the shtuff I’m working through. As the week went on and I gave more thought to my new found hobby; I realized that I actually really like writing as an outlet. While I may not be quite “good” at it, it’s fun to toss around random ideas and concepts to write about while daydreaming about the possibilities of what my blog can become. This much I know: My writing along with this blog will certainly evolve as I do; and that’s something I can be excited about and am actually looking forward to. I’ll play around with the ‘design’ of the blog and perhaps add some topic menus, who knows? The sky is the limit! Right now I’m just letting things flow and am opening myself up to the universe and things around me while I toy with new interests. In the future I’ll probably shift my attention to life & leisure, food & drink, health & fitness, learning & development, humor, and of course random nonsense.
Facebook Update

I have to admit, it’s getting a lot easier to not be on Facebook. I think about the hours I would’ve spent browsing my feed instead of engaging in other more creative outlets, like this blog. To some extent, I feel like my mind is opening up and a more creative, curious, and borderline intellectual is trying to emerge. Have I been stunting my own development? I’m not ready to claim that yet, but it is definitely something I’ll be paying close attention to as my time away progresses.

It hasn’t always been easy; there were moments when I really wanted to get back online to see what was happening “out there.” Halloween in particular got my Facebook itch going. To not be able to see the ridiculous adults and the cute-as-all-hell kids was a challenge. After all, that’s one of the best benefits of Facebook to me, the pictures capturing life in action. I resisted. Instead I sent text messages to my friends with little ones. I’m an “uncle” eight times over and had to see what my lil nieces and nephews were dressed like. They did look damn cute. I did feel like I was “missing out” a little bit. I don’t have a set time that I want to stay away from Facebook, but I’m certainly not ready to give in yet. I think I’ll create a minimum time and go from there. How about through the rest of the year, minimum? I think I can do that. I’ll reassess on 2013.
More Creative Outlets Ahead

Besides leaving Facebook, I’ve also significantly cut back on my television time. This wasn’t a conscious decision; it’s just something that happened organically. I find myself only watching TV in the wee hours before bedtime. Sometimes I’ll just have it on as background noise while I do other things and other times I’ll veg out to some of my favorite low-brow comedies while heading off to see the sandman. What to do with all of this extra time? (Well, between work and finishing up my Master’s program there may not be that much time, but it feels like it all of a sudden).  On to another creative outlet for me! I’ve decided to start a photo journal for the month of November. Is a photo journal a thing? I don’t know, but it sounds right for what I’m going to be doing. I’ll be snapping pictures everyday in November, at least five a day, and creating a music video montage of my favorite photos for each day of the month. I began yesterday and have to admit, it was a lot of fun. In one day I was at the headquarters of the company I work for, the Oakland Raiders headquarters, and the Yahoo! headquarters. Quite a day and I captured it all in one way or another. I’m really looking forward to the finished product as I know I have quite a bit in store for this month. Keep an eye out in early December!
Well thanks for reading, whoever you are. I’m on a trip and you’re passengers. Get ready for an evolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment